Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The price of freedom.



Every 4th, we over pack and hurry to get out the door and on the road for vacation. There can be some tense moments in our house while packing for 3 kids and 2 dogs always under your feet. We get out on the road and sit for what seems to be an eternity sitting in traffic with the rest of the Twin City-ians doing the same thing. While on the 2 hour drive, I stalk my fellow Facebook friends like crazy. I check Twitter when there are no longer any new status' of my liking. Then I hit up TMZ.

Eventually, we get to the cabin, fight over the bathroom and throw our crap everywhere unpack.We hang out at the lake, bask in the sun, have a few drinks. Relax with our loved ones. We eat too much, laugh too much and maybe even drink too much. We go to the fireworks and ooh and ahhh over the show.

We can so easily take it all for granted.

Both of my Brother's served in the military, both are out and home safe. I used to get pretty emotional on this day when they were in active duty.  Praying that they made it home. Praying to just get a phone call from them even if it was for just a minute. Sometimes I randomly think about those overseas serving, alone, away from family and friends. Then the moment passes and I move on with my day to day activities.

I read an article in our paper this morning that really got to me. A Marine from MN who gave the ultimate sacrifice in Afghanistan last week. He stepped on a IED while on foot patrol and died. He left behind his family, his wife and his unborn son due to arrive in September.

A Son that will never meet his Daddy.

A Wife that will never speak to her Husband.

A Mother that will never speak to her Son.

A family no doubt, left to grieve and try to make sense of a real life nightmare. A family that will have to find the courage and strength to get through each day. It breaks my heart. I will hug my children extra tight and pray for this family. We are complete strangers but I cannot help but feel this great loss. My heart is heavy. I want to cry for this family.

Marine Sgt. Chad Frokjer thank you.

Thank you for your service.

Thank you for your selflessness.

Thank you for defending our country.

Thank you for all you gave.

Thank you from my family to yours.

You see, there is a price for freedom. This man paid with his life. RIP Chad Frokjer.


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

You gave me goosebumps. Just saying.

KB said...

Great great great post! Tearing up a big over here, not gonna lie!