Friday, August 12, 2011

She's a Blue Devil.


She's a Blue Devil.

It's not goodbye, it's see you later! That's what we had to keep telling ourselves last night. We had one last family dinner with Angie (my Brother in law's GF) before she headed off to North Carolina. She was accepted into Duke University for Graduate School. She is getting her Doctorate in Molecular Cancer Biology. Yes, she will be our very own Doctor in four years. She will be looking for that cure, and will make an impact in more women's lives than I could dream of. I couldn't be more proud of her.  She could of had her shot at 7 other schools. Good schools. Even the U of MN, so she would be close to home, but she wanted an adventure. Duke was her choice. Ryan will follow her out there in November to start their next chapter together. Both miles away from anyone they know. On their own. It's bittersweet. We don't want them to go, but then again, wouldn't we all jump at the chance? They can always come back home. Plus, they will get much milder winters. I'm already trying to schedule our first visit.

Last night I started calling her "Quinny", as in "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman". She is also a twin so technically I can call her "Quinny the Twinny". Too much?

My MIL made a fantastic dinner of Sausage Rigatoni. The mood was pretty good and seemed fairly normal for family dinners. Nothing too sappy. The later it got, the more wine was consumed. Before we knew it there were tears all over. I even snorted once. Yes, I just admitted that. No shame here. We all said our "see you later's" and hugged. Even a group hug. You know everyone in a circle swaying and hugging. Someone suggested we break out in "Piano Man" at one point. Later my Husband said, "that had to be my Mom's idea." It was. I then asked "it was, how did you know?" to which he replied "because it's so stupid." Ha, ha! I love him.

As we were all leaving, Ryan noticed the dent in his Mom's car. Someone backed into her car on their way out. Whoops. It was a very dark, narrow street and she was parked at the end of the driveway. It helped Angie to stop crying anyways. 

Cheers to our Rangie! We can't wait to visit. Much love and safe travels. I love you Quinny!

 
Angie is the Twin on the left.




These are our people.



The boo boo on the Lexus.

Has anyone been to the Outer Banks? Is it super cool? That's where we are thinking our destination will be out in NC.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Best of luck to Rangie! :)