Friday, October 28, 2011

World Series Irony

Any of you Ladies watching the World Series??? I'm guessing so since so many are from Texas.

Well, I am a huge MN Twins fan. Yes, we had the most capitalistic year ever. It was a season full of injuries and lack of pitching. Whatever. I'm over it. I still love my boys plus we have one kick ass stadium. So excited for next year and this year isn't even technically even over. There is just something about sitting in an outdoor ballpark, watching your favorite baseball team with your Husband, friends, kids, heck - strangers.


Next year boys, next year. And Valencia (since he's obviously reading this)...please do not change your number. I have your jersey. Thanks love.

Back to my point of this whole post.

Anyone watch Game 6 last night?? Holy hannah. That was a game.

I'm not sure who I want to win. I like both teams. (As long is it's NOT the Yankees or the White Sox I'm cool.)



Nick Punto is on St. Louis, he's a former Twin. Then you have Texas' coach Ron Washington, former Twin. So for me it's a toss up. Texas has never won a World Series so that would be cool. PLUS they are in the American League - go Texas?




I did find myself rooting for the Cards' last night though. They were behind, then ahead, then behind. Then the magic happened.



Freese hit his game winning home run to lead off the bottom of the 11th of Game 6, forcing Game 7 tonight.

20 years ago almost to the day (one day off) my Twins were in the exact same situation in the 1991 World Series. It was the bottom of the 11th and Kirby Puckett was up. He hit his game winning homer forcing a Game 7. I'll never forget that game. Sitting on the living room floor, on a school night, hoping they could pull it off. In front of the TV hearing "And we'll see you tomorrow night". 



Weird right? That's not all.

Both Freese and Puckett each had triples and 3 hits in their games.

Wait, that's still not all. The announcer for the game 20 years ago, who's words any Twins fan will never forget? You know "And we'll see you tomorrow night!" came from Jack Buck.



Eerily enough, his son Joe Buck said the exact same thing after Freese hit his home run. (I still can't stand Joe Buck but what he did last night was pretty cool.)



I've watched the replay on both history making home runs and get chills. I'm getting chills just typing this. It was one of those moments where your instantly thrown back to another time in your life and you can remember it just like it was yesterday.

One last note. I'm not for ALL Twins players. One thing that bugged me more than hearing Joe Buck announce the game was seeing this guy:






Who thought he would make a good commentater? Yuck. Makes me want to do this:



Ok. Not really but kinda.

Have a fantastic weekend!

4 comments:

Larissa said...

Yes, I'm watching the World Series and Yes I think I have developed an ulcer due to last nights game. I just hope Texas can get there bats swinging tonight. Go RANGERS!!!

How can anyone not love Ron Washington? I enjoy watching him as much as the rest of the game. Ha!

Carolyn said...

OMG! I love this! HAHA I have to say that I'm hoping Texas wins. Ron Washington is adorable. And he was a buddy to Kirby, so automatically he's a good guy. :)

Angie said...

I remember that game in 1991! :) I'm your newest follower!

P! said...

A fellow Twins fan!! Yay!! Next year, indeed. :) Have a fantastic weekend!